Awhile back we talked to Brandon Sherouse from the Downtowners. You can check out that story here. While we were talking, Brandon brought up all his favorite downtown San Antonio hangouts, dives, artists, and businesses. We have distilled his recommendations into a list of the “Ten Downtown Trending” that you need to check out in the New Year.
1. Bar 1919: A throwback to the Prohibition era that offers a chill and laid-back atmosphere. At Bar 1919, they ask that you ‘Speak easy.’ Be sure to check out their ‘Tasting Thursdays’ to learn about the history and proper tasting techniques followed by live jazz music.
Bar 1919 is one of Brandon's favorite spots. Michael Cirlos / Centro San Antonio
2. Richter Goods: Located at the old Broadway News Building, Richter Goods is unlike any clothiers you’ve ever been to. You can learn a lot more about Mario Guajardo’s brain-child in our story here. Richter Goods plays host to a pop-up coffee shop, barbershop, apparel outlets and more.
Richter Goods at Broadway News. Michael Cirlos / Centro San Antonio
3. AMEA: An up-and-coming local artist who is a part of the rising downtown music scene. Everything about her is San Antonio. As she told TPR: “I feel like I wouldn’t be the musician I am if I wasn’t in San Antonio.”
4. La Botanica: ‘Creative Drinks, Vegan Eats’ boasts La Botanica, a cantina located in the Tobin Hill area. Grab a bite or watch a show. Frequent haunt of SA Pop Star Wayne Holtz.
La Botanica on St. Mary's Street. Michael Cirlos / Centro San Antonio
5. Brick Sunday Market: You can expect anything from vinyl records to astrological readings. Try a juice and explore the arts complex. Pets welcome!
Brick at Bluestar. Michael Cirlos / Centro San Antonio
6. Mila Coffee: Come say hi to Marco (on your way in to Richter Goods) and try his hand-prepared beverages. Listen to Marco’s story in his video profile here.
Mila Coffeeshop at Broadway News.
7. The Friendly Spot: Over 350 bottles and cans of beer and 76 taps. Excellent food and a perfect place to take the family, with a play area for the kids and plenty of big screens for the games.
The Friendly Spot in King William.
8. Drag Brunch at Paramour: Watch this video. Nuff’ said.
9. Femina-X: Identifying as “Latin Alternative,” this eccentric ensemble is flush with fusions of progressive tribal and ethnic dance, jazz, Native/Afro-latino rhythms, Caribbean, and Southwestern desert landscapes. They have performed at the historic Arneson River Theater, The Tobin Center for Performing Arts, Luminaria Contemporary Arts Festival.
Femina-X. Michael Cirlos / Centro San Antonio
10. Dowtowners: If you haven’t checked out Brandon’s own underground creation, the Downtowners, the new year is the perfect time. Join a community of downtown admirers, or as Brandon says, “Bright lights, sounds, vitality, mysticism, and constant motion. My home away home. The electric air that is #DownTowners”
Brandon Sherouse with his Downtowners shirt at Main Plaza. Michael Cirlos / Centro San Antonio
Did we miss any? Share one of your “Ten Downtown Trending” at yourvoicesa.com or with #YourVoiceSA