Dec 28, 2011
To be sure, downtown needs some love. The most recent U.S. Census data shows residents fled the city center in droves over the past decade. Housing's scarce, storefronts sit empty, and a glut of downtown office space sits dejectedly on the market. To turn the urban core around, Mayor Julián Castro made the "Decade of Downtown" a cornerstone of the SA 2020 plan gleaned from months of community input.
Congratulations to the winners of Light Up Downtown
Dec 27, 2011
Mayor Julian Castro's inaugural Light Up Downtown Holiday Contest is underway! Buildings throughout downtown are illuminated and the winners are:
- People's Choice Best Lighting Display of a Storefront: San Antonio Children's Museum
- Critic's Choice Best Lighting Display of a Storefront: Greater Chamber of San Antonio
- People's Choice Best Lighting Display of a Building: Marriott Rivercenter
- Critic's Choice Best Lighting Display of a Building: Vidorra Condominiums
- Hospitality Award Best Lighting Display of a Hotel: Hilton Paseo del Rio
- CPS Energy Award Greenest Lighting Display: Riverwalk Plaza Hotel & Suites
Over 30 businesses participated in the inaugural lighting contest. Holiday lighting displays will be up through January 10, 2012. For a complete list of all lighting displays, visit www.lightupdowntownsa.com.